The Lewis Center is a historic building north of the Washington University main campus, located in University City, Missouri. It was originally constructed in 1909 as a women’s school of art and was later converted into a junior high and high school in the 1930s.
The 97,300 s.f. project consisted of combining five buildings into 93 residential units and offices. Residential units range from studios less than 500 s.f. up to 1,200 s.f. two-bedroom apartments. Some two-story units even feature an open workspace on the lower level and living space above.
This space is also home to a coffee shop, double-height coworking hub, living room lounge, roof terrace, and two lush courtyards. The coworking space has a large open hall for workspace and events, a state-of-the-art kitchen, cafe-style seating, privacy phone booths, a 14-person conference room with audiovisual capabilities, restrooms, dedicated desk workspaces, private offices for teams of two to five people, multiple courtyards with work and event space, and rotating art exhibits.
The Lewis Center has become an imaginative live-work arts hub for the St. Louis community.